GenCon is almost here!
There's so much to take in at a big convention like this, that it's really easy to miss out on some really cool stuff. We wanted to round up and highlight some of the games debuting or making appearances in prototype form for you guys to help narrow it down for you.
I split my list up into 3 categories: Buy, Demo/Play and Check out, based on what I know about the games and my level of interest in them. Links all go to the Boardgame Geek page for the games so you can get some more info!
These are the games I'm most excited for this year.
- The Great Dinosaur Rush : APE Games I demoed this at GenCon last year, we Kickstarted it and will be picking it up this year. Very excited for this to come full circle like this!
- Mystic Vale : AEG As a fan of deck builing games I'm VERY interested in this card crafting mechanism and what it can do. The art is also stellar.
- Star Trek: Ascendancy Star Trek is one of my big loves and this game looks awesome. Most Trek games aren't great, so I'm really hopeful for this one, which looks like a mashup of Fleet Captains and Eclipse, two of my fave crunchy games.
- Pathfinder Adventure Card Game Mummy's Mask base set : Paizo So we're still working through both Skull & Shackles and Wrath of the Righteous right now, but that does nothing to dampen my excitement for the next core set of one of our favorite games.
These are games I'm pretty darn excited about, and after playing will probably become buys, if they're available for purchase at the show.
- Pinball Showdown : Shoot Again Games I'm hoping to demo this on Saturday, I love pinball, I love table top games, and I love that it's designed by a woman, something that is rare in both worlds!
- Wizards of the Wild : CrossCut Games They had me at "animal wizard battling in the ultimate magic showdown at Stonehenge." It's an engine building game too, which is right up my alley, and who doesn't love games with custom dice?
- Potion Explosion : Cool Mini or Not
- The Stygian Society : APE Games A diceless dungeon crawler with classic literature anti-heroes? Sign me up! We snagged tickets to play this Friday afternoon, and I can't wait!
- Oceanos : Iello I'm a sucker for ocean themes/discovery and this seems like a wonderful little game. They really nailed it with the art too, as Iello always does.
- Wasteland Express Delivery Service : IDW/Pandasaurus Games Who doesn't love a good romp in a post apocolypic desert?
These are games that look interesting and I definitely want to see more of first hand, but aren't quite catching my full attention just yet.
- Dreamwell : Action Phase The art draws me in, but I'm generally not a huge fan of abstract games so I'm at odds with myself on this one.
- Agility : Two Lanterns Games
- Carrotia : MAGE Company Anthropomorphic animals are my weakness, soo. It's also a tile laying game and co-op which is nice.
- Wrong Chemistry : MAGE Company
- Rayguns & Rocket Ships : Bedbug Games Pulpy sci-fi how could I not be curious?
- Chronicles - Origins 1 : Artana The only reason this isn't a "buy" game is because I have no idea when we'd be able to play this. It's a legacy game that will for sure span multiple game sets, and the theme is right on point to make the history nerd in me excited.
- Vikings on Board : Blue Orange Games
- Imagine : Gamewright
- Robit Riddle - Storybook Adventures : Baba Geek
- London Dread : Grey Fox Games
- Salem : Passport Game Studios
- Dark is the Night : APE Games